Skip to content
Get your seeds
- Eden Seeds The company is focused on traditional open-pollinated varieties. Their select organic range is certified organic but there regular range is also not chemically treated.
- Green Harvest Sells organically grown, untreated heirloom seeds from Australian growers.
- Boondie Seeds This website is perfect for small backyard gardeners because you can buy many packets of seed for only $1.
- Green patch Organic Seeds and Plants Grows seeds and plants on-site on their farm on the mid-North Coast in Glenthorne.
- Four Seasons A supplier of rare and select seeds.
- The Lost Seed Supplies reliable old rare heirloom vegetables and herbs and all their seed is non-GM, non-Hybrid and open-pollinated.
- Community Gardens Networks Getting involved with your local community garden is a great way to learn new skills and meet people in your local community.
- Seed savers Find a local seed savers group and exchange seeds adapted to your local conditions. You will also be helping to preserve open-pollinated and non-hybrid plant varieties.
Buy Sustainable Products
Markets and Farmgate trails
- Seaonal Food Guide Buy food that is fresh by learning when produce is in season.
- Green Villages workshops Book in to learn about everything from balcony gardening to energy efficiency at these great free workshops.
- ifixit Featuring repair guides for appliances, cameras, phones, cars and more.
- Repair cafe – The Bower A fabulous service in Marrickville where you can bring along broken items and people will work with you to help fix them. There is now an ‘on the road’ service as well where the repair cafe goes to places such as Parramatta, Concord, and Annadale. See website for dates and times.
- Repair cafe – Sydney North Another great repair cafe operating on the first and second Sundays of the month at Uniting church hall at the corner of Mowbray Road and Pacific Highway.
- Zilch Browse and list free items.
- Freecycle Network of people across the world.
- Zookal Buy and rent brand new and second hand textbooks Australia wide at low prices.
- Givit Matching people with items with people in need. Browse ads requesting items or write a post yourself offering goods. You can search under ‘giver’ or ‘charity’.
- Gumtree Free local classified advertisements.
Donate quality clothing
- Dress for Success With chapters throughout the world, this registered charity improves the employability of women in need by providing, free of charge, professional clothing, a network of support and career development tools to help women achieve set-sufficiency. You can hold a donation drive and collect new or nearly near suits, other business appropriate apparel, shoes or even accessories like handbags and unused cosmetics or jewellery.
- Fitted for Work A program aiming to help women experiencing disadvantage secure sustainable employment. They accept donations of high-quality second-hand clothing that women can wear to interviews and the workplace.
Donate other items
- Second Life Stationary this organisation collects, cleans, sorts, packs and redistributes gently-used stationery and school gear through not-for-profit organisations, to disadvantaged families.
- Boot Them On A Newcastle based project that collects used football boots and redistributes them to disadvantaged families. There is a collection point in Waverley, Sydney.
- Shoes for Planet Earth An organisation collecting running shoes and distributing them to people in need around the world.
- Achieve Australia’s Fabric, Needlecraft & More Store A well organised Op shop for fabric and crafts where you can donate goods and find almost anything you are looking for. Located in Meadowbank.
Learn about climate change
- Climate Change Open 2 Study course I highly recommend this free online course through Macquarie University by Prof. Lesley Hughes as a fabulous way of extending your knowledge on climate change. I did it in early 2016 and found it both engaging and informative. Tim Flannery is also interviewed during the course.